The first time I heard about Instagram was in the spring of 2012. I remember reading that Facebook had purchased the photo filter app for $1 billion. Having never heard of this app, which is no surprise seeing that it had only been launched 18 months prior, I decided I needed to keep up to speed with social media. So, a few months later, I created an account.
I was absolutely clueless about how to use it, but thanks to tips from my less clueless friends, I began to post photos hesitantly. Browsing through Instagram, I noticed various types of profiles. On one hand, you have the bloggers, celebrities and businesses that strive to get as many followers as possible. Then, you have the profiles that are kept small and only allow followers that are close friends or family. In between these two profiles, there is the ordinary instagrammer, who shares photos and videos and secretly wants many followers.
So I have decided it is time to learn how to post like a true “Grammer”. And here is what I have learnt so far:
- Post fun, colorful, entertaining photos. Personally, I enjoy using filters but serious instagrammers frown upon over-filtered pictures… Oops!
- The photos should convey an emotion.
- Posts can be used as snapshots of your daily life, holidays or important event.
- Come up with witty and original captions.
- Don’t be self-conscious or overthink your posts.
- Basically, you’re branding yourself—it doesn’t always reflect the real product, but that is the beauty of a photo!
Note to self: follow the advice above.
What type of instagrammer are you? Share your tips…